A low growing maple perfect as a specimen tree for Bonsai culture. Fine green leaves fan out delicately across green and red, branches. Use this beautiful, small ornamental tree as an accent item or focal point in your landscaping. Japanese Green Maple grows slow making it the perfect bonsai specimen. Grown for its multiple season interest - summer foliage and fall foliage color, twig and bark color. Performs best in partial shade to full sun and in a sheltered site.
Zone 5 to 8 as an outdoor standard – anywhere as a specimen or bonsai / container plant.
Start seed in standard potting mix or bonsai soil. Grow in fertile well drained, neutral to acidic soil. Place in full sun to part shade. Needs some cold during winters to thrive.
- Seed can germinate within 2 weeks to 2 years
- There are over 1000 different varieties of Japanese maple
- Native to Japan, Korea and China
- Tree shapes can be round to irregular
- Grown for the beautiful leaf shape and color
- Leaves turn yellow, orange, red or purple in the fall with long lasting color
- Flowers are small, red or purple, in May and June
- A valuable ornamental feature is the stem and bark color
- Makes an excellent plant for collectors of bonsai plants for the home or greenhouse environment
- Makes an excellent specimen for Bonsai Culture
Acer palmatum Japanese Green Maple Seeds Seeds
- All seed descriptions are based on careful study, research and our own growing experiments. They are reproduced here, from our web site and seed company packet descriptions and are Copyright along with photos © [ Summers Seeds Garden Products] 1998-present. All rights reserved. No part of these descriptions may be reproduced, in part or in whole, without the written consent of the owner/publisher.