Beautiful medium sized tree on a short trunk distinguished by soft flaking bark and branches that spread out with nice soft green leaves. New leaves emerge in glossy pink to maroon along with fragrant flowers blooming white in clusters of 4-7 flowers. Round fruit follows that is traditionally used for jams and marmalades. This tree is a sub-tropical plant an in its native environment can grow to elevations of 4000 feet and tolerate 20º F temperatures and as high as 120º F This tree makes a most interesting bonsai project and also grows well as a container plant for the home or greenhouse in addition to being a specimen plant.
As with any plant, caution should be exercised about leaves or seeds and whether or not the plant is meant to be ingested. Seller is not responsible for buyer’s use of plant
- Young leaves and shoots are eaten as a vegetable in Thailand
- Fruits are often made into jams and marmalade
- Flowers in spring
- The tree may yield up to 800 fruits
- The tree has been mentioned in ancient writings dating to 800 BC
- Cultivated throughout India in temple garden highly regarded as a sacred tree
- Does well as an outdoor standard in zones 8+
Aegle Marmelos Bael Fruit Tree Seeds
- All seed descriptions are based on careful study, research and our own growing experiments. They are reproduced here, from our web site and seed company packet descriptions and are Copyright along with photos © [ Summers Seeds Garden Products] 1998-present. All rights reserved. No part of these descriptions may be reproduced, in part or in whole, without the written consent of the owner/publisher.