In early spring a small tree bursts open with a multitude of magenta colored blooms Usually before the tree opens up into full leaf. Flowers are followed by reddish –brown pods that last well into winter months giving the tree interest after fallen leaves. Heart shaped leaves start out green but darken as ages set up on them and accent well its glistening brown branches. Likes sun or part shade and tolerant of most soil types. Drought tolerant.
This widely adaptable tree can be used for a wide range of uses including, standard specimen as well as the greenhouse. It makes the perfect container patio plant but, will need protection from temperatures below 20. Keep tree well watered until established.
As with any plant, caution should be exercised about leaves or seeds and whether or not the plant is meant to be ingested. Seller is not responsible for buyer’s use of plant or methods of starting or growing.
- Cold hardy to 20 degrees F
- Hardy to from zones
- Native American people have traditionally used parts if the branches to make baskets and then made a dye from the bark to color them
- Hummingbirds love the flowers
- Cercis is from the Greek kerkis meaning “weaver’s shuttle” referring to the shape of the seed pods
Cercis occidentalis Western Redbud seeds
- All seed descriptions are based on careful study, research and our own growing experiments. They are reproduced here, from our web site and seed company packet descriptions and are Copyright along with photos © [ Summers Seeds Garden Products] 1998-present. All rights reserved. No part of these descriptions may be reproduced, in part or in whole, without the written consent of the owner/publisher.