Hibiscus cannabinus Red Kenaf Flower seeds
Dark Red flowers make this plant the perfect accent to any perennial flower garden. Deeply lobed leaves grow on tall woody stems. The fibers of the plat are used to make cloth in many parts of the world. The plant is very attractive to butterflies and birds and is drought tolerant making it perfect for dry areas and xeriscape landscapes. Cannot tolerate frost so grow as an annual in colder regions.
Hibiscus grows well as a container plant for the home or greenhouse in addition to being a specimen plant for border gardens and perennial landscapes.
- Native to Southern Asia
- Exact origins are unknown
- Similar in characteristics as jute and grown for it fiber
- Cultivated for its fiber in India
- Grown in Egypt over 3000 years ago
- Hardy Outdoors in zones 6+
- The plant is self fertile