Dragon Fruit Yellow Skin White interior
This versatile, fun to grow plant, could be considered a tropical cactus. Several fruit varieties exist but this variety will produce a waxy Yellow skin with a juicy white inside. Also known as pitaya or orchid cactus, this plant is actually a vining succulent, producing exquisite large white blooms that burst forth only at night. Grows perfectly as a container plant as well as in a greenhouse environment. Hardy from zone 9 as an outdoor standard. Growers like to let hang or trellis.
- Fruit is high in Vitamin C and B
- Dragon Fruit can be juiced, dried or used in juice blends
- Some stores carry dragon fruit juice
- The plant was grown extensively during the time of the Aztec empire
- It had become un-noticed until today and has become a leading export of Vietnam
- Many companies now have interest in this fruit, like Snapple and Tropicana
- The plant can be grown in sun or shade
Plant Care: Grow in full light, water freely during growing season, sparingly in winter and feed once a month. Grow in a standard potting mix. Transplant when large enough to handle into pots. Prefers fertile, well-drained soils, but can survive on most soils. Keep humid if in dry conditions by occasional misting. Cannot tolerate outdoor temperatures below 35 degrees. Zone 9-12 for standard growing outdoors.