Oryza sativa japonica
Japanese Short Grain Rice
This premium Japanese short grain rice is distinguished by its aroma, sweet flavor and texture. An early maturing semi-dwarf variety that grows successfully in the United States. Dried stalks make a beautiful addition to any flower arrangement. Grow in containers to be sure enough time can be given for maturity.
The seed quantities we offer are perfect amounts for container growing.
· There are over 40000 varieties of rice
· The species oryza sativa has been grown over 11000 years
· Asia has more varieties than anywhere else in the world
· The Chinese devote a whole day of their New Year celebration to the crop
· In some Asian cultures rice is believed to be a link between Heaven and Earth
· Indian cultures believe rice is linked to fertility resulting in the tradition of rice-throwing at weddings