Little Marvel Shelling Pea
60 Days - Open Pollinated- All Natural Non GMO
Heavy yields - Fine Flavor!
One of the best pea you can find for the earliest spring planting. Excellent for colder areas. 3 " pods are filled with plump sweet delicious peas. Eat right off the vine or freeze. Holds well after harvest. Winner of RHS Award of Garden Merit
Tender and sweet, they can be served fresh and are perfect when added to salads. Cook in stir fry or steam early pods for a delectable side dish. Pick shelling peas when the pods are full, before the peas have a chance to harden. Edible pods are harvested before any peas can be felt in them. Can be grown in containers.
App. 250 Seeds plant 20 feet of row
They can be used fresh, canned or frozen, Stir fry with young pods
1. There are three main types of garden peas: Southern, edible-podded and English garden peas like this one
2. The earliest cultivated pea dates to around 9750 BC and was found in Spirit Cave on the Thai-Burma border
3. Early peas have also been discovered in upper Egypt around 3800 BC to 3600 BC, some of which were discovered in Egyptian tombs
4. The average pea weighs between 0.1 and 0.36 grams
5. Pea leaves are considered a delicacy in China
6. In the mid-19th century Austrian scientist Gregor Mendel observed the pea pod leading him to create his principle of Mendelian genetics, the foundation of modern genetics
7. The word pea is believed to come from the Latin pisum which came from the Greek pison
8. In Early English pea is called pease This was shortened to pea later due to people incorrectly confusing the 'se' ending in pease as a plural