This very rare and hard to obtain seed produces a plant perfect for use in the landscape for their ornamental appeal. This variety was not commonly known until the late 1950's. Green to yellow green narrow trunks grow about 8-10 feet (3 meters) if grown as a specimen plant outdoors and about 4-7 feet as a potted plant. Long, slender green leaves are graced by intense yellow - brown flower bracts followed by seeded fruit. (Unlike commercial hybrids found in the supermarket) Bring the tropics to your home! Does well outdoors in zone 9+
Many people grow them in pots and bring indoors when weather turns rough.
1. Ochracea is latin and indicates the color of the flower - ochre / brown
2. Recently rediscovered
3. Banana plants usually flower after one year of growing
4. There are over 100 varieties of banana plants
5. Grow outside in zones 8 or above
6. Flowers are usually huge compared to the plant
7. Banana fruit ripens from top to bottom
8. Bananas are fast growing, upright herbaceous plants
9. Bananas are an important crop in tropical climates throughout the world
10. Bananas require 10 to 15 months of frost free weather to produce a flower stalk, and then another 4 to 8 months to ripen fruit
NOTE: Germination times vary from 3 months to 9 months. Not all will come up at the same time
This may be a challenging plant for you to get started and will require patience for germination – (1-9 months) in addition to proper care for success. Needs humidity, protection from wind, proper soil, correct watering program. Under excellent conditions the plant will reward you with a multitude of exotic blooms and will be well worth the work.Don’t try them if you cannot provide these conditions. Do some research, if needed, prior to purchase.
Sow seeds upon arrival. Soak for 24 hours in warm water in pots or flats and keep warm indoors and cover with plastic or a dome to retain humidity. Place on a heat mat and keep soil temperature steady at 80-85 degrees F -( 27-29C)
Transplant seedlings when large enough to handle into larger pots. Reduce watering in winter. Fertilize with diluted applications of a quality soluble houseplant food. Plants can be prone to chlorosis but don’t fear they will come out of it.
Seeds may float - this is natures way -allowing them to be dispersed by water currents to other locations- this is normal
We thank you for your support of rare and naturally grown seeds!
Musa ochracea- Very Rare -Ornamental Banana- red flowers - Very Rare Seeds
- All seed descriptions are based on careful study, research and our own growing experiments. They are reproduced here, from our web site and seed company packet descriptions and are Copyright along with photos © [ Summers Seeds Garden Products] 1998-present. All rights reserved. No part of these descriptions may be reproduced, in part or in whole, without the written consent of the owner/publisher.