Purple Shelling Pea Seeds
60-80 days to harvest
Add color to the vegetable garden! This beautiful heirloom Pea dates back hundreds of years. Purple-blue pods accent a rich background of green foliage and pink blooms. Harvest early as a snow pea or let mature to use as a shelling pea. The early flowers are stunning. Purple Pods open up to a stunning green pea.
Certified organic & Heirloom seed.
This Dutch heirloom is a favorite in Europe for making tasty pea soup and best known for a rich creamy flavor.
1. There are three main types of garden peas: Southern, edible-podded and English garden peas like this one
2. We have a high sugar content and start losing our sweetness soon after harvest
3. The earliest cultivated pea dates to around 9750 BC and was found in Spirit Cave on the Thai-Burma border
4. Early peas have also been discovered in upper Egypt around 3800 BC to 3600 BC, some of which were discovered in Egyptian tombs
5. The average pea weighs between 0.1 and 0.36 grams
6. Pea leaves are considered a delicacy in China
7. In the mid-19th century Austrian scientist Gregor Mendel observed the pea pod leading him to create his principle of Mendelian genetics, the foundation of modern genetics
8. The word pea is believed to come from the Latin pisum which came from the Greek pison
9. In Early English pea is called pease This was shortened to pea later due to people incorrectly confusing the 'se' ending in pease as a plural
Purple Pod Pea 50 Seeds