This plant is grown for its sweet leaves and is the source of the sweetener “stevia.” A tender perennial shrub that can grow to about 3’ with bright green leaves that are accented by tiny white flowers.
NOTE: not all seeds will germinate this is a normal part of nature for any plant.
Treat as a tropical that cannot tolerate frost.
1. Stevia is a member of the sunflower family
2. First described by botanist Moises Santiago in 1899 after observing them in 1899
3. Brazilian native people have used the plant for over 1500 years
4. Native to South American Tropics
5. There are over 200 varieties of stevia
6. This variety has the most intense flavor of all varieties
7. Introduced to Europe in the 16th century by conquistadors