Big Leaf Mahogany
This tree is one of the most valued timber trees in the world. They have a broad crown and a straight trunk often swollen at the base. It’s a semi-deciduous tree which loses old leaves at the end of winter just as the new growth is beginning.
New leaves start out unfolding in a red-purple turning to yellow-green. Foliage is accented by small fragrant flowers on new growth. This is a fast growing tree tolerant of most soil conditions. Because of its shape and rugged look the tree makes a beautiful bonsai specimen. Full sun to part shade. Regular water. This species grows faster than mahogani. Zone 9 + as an outdoor standard otherwise grow as a tropical as a container plant.
1. The tree may be leafless for only a week or two in the fall
2, There are three species in the genus Swietenia that are considered to be the true producers of the prized wood
3. They are all native to the New World tropics
4. This tree is native to West Indies, Bahamas and South Florida
5. Mahogany uses to grow further north in Florida but it has been cut to extinction
6. The wood of mahogany is one of the most valuable woods of any tree
Potted Deck Plant
Swietenia macrophylla Big Leaf Mahogany Seeds
$5.00 Regular Price
- All seed descriptions are based on careful study, research and our own growing experiments. They are reproduced here, from our web site and seed company packet descriptions and are Copyright along with photos © [ Tropical Seed Garden Products] 1998-present. All rights reserved. No part of these descriptions may be reproduced, in part or in whole, without the written consent of the owner/publisher.