Tectona grandis - You'll love this unique and beautiful tree that has very soft, large, bright green leaves. This tree is among the most lovely in all the plant kingdom and is accented with delicate, small clusters of pure white blooms. The wood from this tree is highly valued for its high quality and is used in making furniture and boats. Makes a terrific, unique houseplant for those who love the exotic! Grown as a standard in zones 10+ Grows upright.
Botanical Name Tectona grandis
Common Name Teak tree - Teakwood tree
Outdoor Hardiness Zones - 8-12 for outdoor growing
Minimum Temp - 35°F
Shape - Tree
Growth Rate - Fast
Sun Preference - Bright Filtered Light - full sun
Soil Type - Any
Soil Moisture - Water thoroughly
Growth Period - Spring - Autumn
Foliage Color - Green
Flower Color - White
- Known as the wood that lasts longer than any other due to natural oils in the wood
- The oils seal the wood and protect it from moisture and decay
- Native to Southern Asia, India, Myanmar, Thailand and Indochina
- Because of its early use in shipbuilding the largest of teakwood trees are gone
- Makes an excellent plant for collectors of plants for the home or greenhouse environment
- Grown for the beautiful leaf shape and color
- Makes an excellent specimen for Bonsai Culture
Tectona grandis Teak Tree Tropical tree seeds
- All seed descriptions are based on careful study, research and our own growing experiments.
They are reproduced here, from our web site and seed company packet descriptions and are
Copyright along with photos © [ Summers Seeds Garden Products] 1998-present. All rights reserved.
No part of these descriptions may be reproduced, in part or in whole, without the written consent of the owner/publisher.