Gray Bark Elm
A deciduous tree with a umbrella-like habit that makes a perfect specimen tree. Gray bark is smooth accented by foliage that has tapering tips. Leaves put on a fantastic show in the fall turning from yellow to orange and red. In bonsai culture this tree is grown as “broom style” or replicating the way a deciduous tree thrive in nature. The pretty gray-orange bark and fall color make it perfect! Also used in container / deck plantings, in addition to standards. Zone 5 and above. Wind and drought tolerant. Sun to shade.
- Native to Japan, Taiwan and southern Korea
- This tree is often used in American and European landscapes
- Adaptable to a wide range soil conditions - grows in alkaline to acidic soils
- An important timber tree in Japan where its high quality wood is used to make fine furniture
Zelkova serrata Japanese Gray Bark Elm tree seeds
- All seed descriptions are based on careful study, research and our own growing experiments.
They are reproduced here, from our web site and seed company packet descriptions and are
Copyright along with photos © [ Summers Seeds Garden Products] 1998-present. All rights reserved.
No part of these descriptions may be reproduced, in part or in whole, without the written consent of the owner/publisher.