Amaranthus cruentus Purple Grain Amaranth Seeds - Seed Sale!
Purple Grain Amaranth
An annual herb topped with clusters or dark pink blooms. Emerald green foliage create a breathtaking display of magnificent color. Not only is this plant a beautiful annual but it also produces a magnificent multi-purpose grain. This annual plant is suitable to a wide variety of climates, from arid to humid. Blossoming from Summer to Fall, this South American native is hardy in zones 2-10. Can grow 4-6 feet.
1. This plant was used as a food source as early as 4000 BC in Central America
2. The leaves and seeds are eaten in South America and India
3. A high content of betacyanins causes the bright red color of the blossoms
4. The grain can be popped like popcorn, ground into flour or made into a porridge
5. Leaves are often cooked like spinach