This heat loving tree does extremely well where space is limited and often used as a shade tree in some desert regions. Perfect as a specimen tree as well and because of its broad base trunk, that quickly narrows, it makes a most unique bonsai tree. Can be grown as a container plant or in the greenhouse. The Green patterned bark is the perfect accent to rustling olive -green evergreen foliage. Small bell shaped flowers appear in spring. Drought tolerant. Zones 9-11 as an outdoor standard. Any soil is good, but should have good drainage. Encourage young plants with a little extra phosphorus in spring.
- The fiber from the bark of various plants is called Kurrajong
- In the United States, this plant is known as bottle tree
- The wide base and slender trunk is the reason for this name
- Commonly found in Australia as a landscape tree and along streets and avenues
Brachychiton populneus Seeds Bottle Tree
- All seed descriptions are based on careful study, research and our own growing experiments. They are reproduced here, from our web site and seed company packet descriptions and are Copyright along with photos © [ Summers Seeds Garden Products] 1998-present. All rights reserved. No part of these descriptions may be reproduced, in part or in whole, without the written consent of the owner/publisher.