A lovely annual that gives both the beauty of a flower as well as a seed that certain birds love to eat. One to five round globes of orange-yellow flowers bloom from each branch. A very drought-tolerant plant grown in many arid regions. If you love wildflower gardens this plant would fit right in. Perfect for growing in tubs for the deck! Attractive to bees, butterflies and birds and is drought-tolerant making it suitable for xeriscaping.
- Commercial production of safflower oil is produced from the seeds
- Safflowers grow a deep taproot which allows it to survive periods of drought
- Safflower is one of the oldest cultivated crops
- Dyes made from safflower have been found in Egyptian textiles dating to the 12th dynasty in the tomb of Tutankhamun
- In the 19th century safflower was known as carthamine
The following birds love to eat safflower seeds:
Black Capped Chikadees
Black Headed Grosbeaks
Sow as you would any flower seeds
Carthamus tinctorius Safflower Seeds Annual Flower
- All seed descriptions are based on careful study, research and our own growing experiments. They are reproduced here, from our web site and seed company packet descriptions and are Copyright along with photos © [ Summers Seeds Garden Products] 1998-present. All rights reserved. No part of these descriptions may be reproduced, in part or in whole, without the written consent of the owner/publisher.