Crimson Sweet Watermelon Garden VegetabSeeds Heirloom Bursting with Sweet Flavor
Deep crimson melon is bursting with juice and is so sweet! Lightly green stripped melons grow to about 25 pounds. Flesh is finely grained for the best texture. Small seeds.Resists fusarium wilt and anthracnose. A classic favorite from 1963!
- This watermelon is high in lycopene
- Egypt recorded the first watermelon harvest occurred around 5,000 years ago
- Watermelon's scientific name is Citrullus lanatus of the botanical family Curcurbitaceae
- This scientific name is derived from both Greek and Latin roots
- Citrullus comes from a Greek word “citrus” which is a reference to the fruit
- lanatus is Latin, and has the meaning of being wooly, referring to the small hairs on the stems and leaves of the plant
- The first cookbook published in the U.S. in 1776 contained a recipe for watermelon rind pickles
- A watermelon contains approimately 93% water
DetailsAll seed descriptions are based on careful study, research and our own growing experiments. They are reproduced here, from our web site and seed company packet descriptions and are Copyright along with photos © [ Summers Seed Garden Products] 1998-present. All rights reserved. No part of these descriptions may be reproduced, in part or in whole, without the written consent of the owner/publisher.