A tropical, flowering, medium sized tree with deep green leaves and slender branches that bloom little mauve colored flowers followed by olive green fruits that ripen to orange lending added interest as a landscape tree.
This plant makes a most interesting deck plant and grows well as a container plant for several years if pruned and shaped, for the home or greenhouse, in addition to being a specimen plant.
1. Native to India
2. Hardy outdoors year round in zones 9+ otherwise use as an annual or container plant
3. The dark wood is used in cabinet making
4. Ancient kings of India used the wood for drinking vessels
5. Herodotus stated that the Ethiopians sent a tribute of 200 logs of ebony to Persia
6. The common name is derived from the coast of southeastern India, Coromandel
7. Diospyros melanoxylon was first described by William Roxburgh in 1795
All seed descriptions are based on careful study, research and our own growing experiments. They are reproduced here, from our web site and seed company packet descriptions and are Copyright along with photos © [ Summers Seeds Garden Products] 1998-present. All rights reserved. No part of these descriptions may be reproduced, in part or in whole, without the written consent of the owner/publisher.