Mortgage Lifter Tomato
An old fashioned favorite that produces meaty, mild tasting tomatoes that have been known to grow as large as 2 pounds! Tomato’s produce few seeds Perfect for slicing and salads. To this day the tomato consistently wins taste-tests.
Fruit size: 1-2 LB
Matures: 84 days
Plant spacing: 36 inches apart
Plant size: 4 feet tall
Plant type: Indeterminate
• Developed in the 1930s by gardener Willam Estler of Barboursville, West Virginia who cross pollinated the four biggest varieties he knew
• He did this for six seasons coming up with this variety that produced this giant, tasty fruit
• He sold the plants for $1 a piece and paid off his $6000 mortgage in 6 years
• It is believed that the tomato originates in the western portions of South America
• Varieties of wild tomatoes are still found in Peru
• Aztecs of Central America called it "xitomatl"
• In 1692 a cookbook was published in Naples and mentions the Tomato
Mortgage Lifter Heirloom Tomato Seeds OP Non GMO
- All seed descriptions are based on careful study, research and our own growing experiments. They are reproduced here, from our web site and seed company packet descriptions and are Copyright along with photos © [ Summers Seeds Garden Products] 1998-present. All rights reserved. No part of these descriptions may be reproduced, in part or in whole, without the written consent of the owner/publisher.