Prickly Pear Cactus
The perfect succulent for those who love versatility, beauty and an easy to grow plant. Thorny pads bloom vibrant large, yellow flowers and produce a fruit that is used as a food in Mexico. The prickly pear has more that one edible portion. The prickly pear pad which is often handled just like a vegetable and also the pear or fruit. They grow all over the US and Mexico and even into Canada.
NOTE: the 4th Picture is a prickly pear along the walls of the Alamo
1. Native to Mexico
2. This fruit is pictured on the Mexican Flag
3. Prickly pear is a food preference in the Central American diet for hundreds of years
4. Grows well outdoors in zones almost everywhere
5. Germination occurs when soil is at least 75 º F
6. Grows well in every soil and is drought tolerant
We thank you for your support of rare and naturally grown seeds!
Opuntia matudae Prickly Pear Cactus 20 Seeds
- All seed descriptions are based on careful study, research and our own growing experiments. They are reproduced here, from our web site and seed company packet descriptions and are Copyright along with photos © [ Summers Seeds Garden Products] 1998-present. All rights reserved. No part of these descriptions may be reproduced, in part or in whole, without the written consent of the owner/publisher.