Parkia timoriana / roxburghii
Light Bulb Flower
One of the most unique features of this large, semi-deciduous flowering tree is the flower heads, which resemble light bulbs, and hang from long, rope-like stalks. Bright yellow and white plumes burst from the tops of the heads and attract old world fruit bats that surprisingly, make better pollinators than the insects that visit the tree. An upper canopy tree with light emerald green leaves are bi-pinnate, each pinna divided into 50-60 smaller leaflets, about a centimeter long each. The long seed pod is filled with a golden yellow pulp, and is said to be similar in scent to violets.
1. In parts of Africa the seeds are roasted to make a coffee known as Soudan coffee
2. The long pod is used in curry in Thai cuisine
3. A popular garden tree in India.
4. The wood is used as lumber and firewood
5. The pods, pounded with water, are used as shampoo
top of page
$4.00 Regular Price
bottom of page