Etlingera elatior or Nicolaia elatior
Red Torch Ginger
A gorgeous plant forming clumps of canes that grow up to 10 feet. Leaves are bright green on the surface and purple-green underneath. Impressive buds burst into large bright red heads that nestle themselves in a crimson cone. This tropical herbaceous perennial is perfect for use as a cut flower.
Zones 9B -11 for outdoor standard growing otherwise grow as a container plant or houseplant.
- Known as Awapuhi-ko'oko'o in Hawaii
- Also known botanically as Phaeomeria magnifica
- A tropical herbaceous perennial
- A native of Java, Indonesia and was brought to Suriname by immigrants
- It is a common naturalized garden plant in this country
- In Thailand, the young shoots and flowers are served raw
- Makes an excellent plant for collectors of plants for the home or greenhouse environment
Red Torch Ginger Etlingera elatior Tropical Seeds
- All seed descriptions are based on careful study, research and our own growing experiments. They are reproduced here, from our web site and seed company packet descriptions and are Copyright along with photos © [ Summers Seeds Garden Products] 1998-present. All rights reserved. No part of these descriptions may be reproduced, in part or in whole, without the written consent of the owner/publisher.