Solanum Lycopersicon esculentum
74 -80 Days
An old time, mid season favorite producing medium sized fruits ranging in size from 4-6oz, and bursting with old fashioned flavor. Perfect for canning, juicing and fresh use. Fruits resist cracking and have a beautiful, smooth skin. The uniform, firm thick fruits are perfect in sandwiches and salads. An all time favorite with gourmet grocers and chefs.
- Introduced in 1934 by Rutgers breeder Lyman Schermerhorn
- The Tomato is believed to have originated in the western portions of South America
- Varieties of wild tomatoes are still found in Peru
- Aztecs of Central America called it "xitomatl"
- In 1692 a cookbook was published in Naples and mentions the Tomato