Vintage Wine Heirloom Tomato Seeds
One of the most beautiful tomato’s grown today. Fruits grow red with thin gold, green and orange stripes. This beefsteak variety is elegantly tasty with a nice sweet that compliments most dishes. An all time favorite with gourmet grocers and chefs.
Fruit size: 12 – 16 oz
Matures: 84 days
Plant spacing: 36 inches apart
Plant size: 6 feet tall
Plant type: Indeterminate
• The Tomato is believed to have originated in the western portions of South America
• Varieties of wild tomatoes are still found in Peru
• Aztecs of Central America called it "xitomatl"
• In 1692 a cookbook was published in Naples and mentions the Tomato
They can be used fresh, frozen, canned and in salads
• Start indoors in a good draining potting mix indoors 6 weeks before planting outside or continue to grow indoors
• Germination results in12 -15 days at a soil temperature of 70-90 degrees F
• Soil temperature should be at least 60-70 degrees F when planting outdoors
• Grow in a standard potting mix
• Place in bright filtered light
• Likes a deep, rich well fertilized soil
• Keep moist and feed once a month
Transplant when large enough to handle into pots
• Keep humid if in dry conditions by occasional misting
• Do not allow to remain in standing water
• Mist flowers to encourage fruiting
Harden off and set out after all danger of frost is past in a nice sunny spot. For the biggest yields place plants in raised composted beds. Water regularly.
Keep plants well watered
Seed can be sown indoors 6 weeks before last frost date
For the biggest yields grow plants in raised composted beds. Water regularly.
DetailsAll seed descriptions are based on careful study, research and our own growing experiments. They are reproduced here, from our web site and seed company packet descriptions and are Copyright along with photos © [ Summers Seeds Garden Products] 1998-present. All rights reserved. No part of these descriptions may be reproduced, in part or in whole, without the written consent of the owner/publisher.